Sunday, October 3, 2010

Spider update...

So right after I posted this I called Dirk and he said I have to kill it to protect the kids!!! EEEWWWWW!!!! I told him that would be like killing a small mammal and couldn't do it without a gun, but I could capture it instead.

If you are at all totally grossed out then stop reading...

I COULD HEAR IT WALKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a jar and was getting it to go in it and YES, I heard it's eight arachnid legs walking which totally gave my entire body get goosebumps. If you can HEAR a spider it's too big!

So I got it into the jar and it's been in my kitchen for a few days. It laid an egg sack (glad I captured it, I don't need a hundred more of these) and it's laid a brownish/reddish haze on the bottom of the jar, although it's in a web at the top. Yesterday the egg sack appeared to be eaten...NASTY.

I wonder when this thing will die...

4 comments:

Heidi Reads... said...

Is this the same spider that's in the pictures?? Are you feeding it? Maybe that's why it ate its eggs... you made it resort to eating its young!

megan said...

I KNOW!!! I feel kinda bad but I'm in Mad Scientist mode so it's too late...MWA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

The Mayhews said...

eeeeewwwwwwww..... You're a brave woman, that jar would have been duct taped shut and thrown in the trash if I had been in your shoes. Good luck with your experiment!

Krissy said...

You're kids probably think it's pretty sweet, watching that thing make webs and eat its young. You'd make a very cool science teacher... ;)